Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Breakfast Club

Yesterday, I watched The Breakfast Club for the very first time. After watching Pitch Perfect 47 times, I decided that I might understand the movie better if I actually watched the movie that they referenced in every scene.

I would just like to say that although it was insanely awkward seeing Anne from Secret Life of the American Teenager cussing out people... I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. In fact, a thought occurred to me: this movie should be played in school everywhere. Kids need to realize how similar we all are.

Insecurities
Brian explains that if his grades aren't perfect, then they're not good enough. I know that if I don't receive all As on my report card, I feel like a failure, even if I tried my hardest. I think that a lot of kids can relate to Brian and feel his pain. I know that he made me cry.


Strangers
Starting my new school was really scary because obviously everyone was a stranger. Once I started talking to them, though, I realized we aren't all that different... even if we grew up on opposite sides of the country. We all feel the same pain. We all know what it's like to get your heart broken, or go through family problems. And we all know it sucks. It's really fascinating how closely all of our lives intertwine.


Flaws
All of the characters in the movie talk about they're odd talents and the things they're not proud of. Now, I'm not a compulsive liar, or a school-a-holic, but I have some regrets. I've done some bad things in the past... but I've learned from them.

I don't think it's fair to judge someone simply because they've sinned differently than you have.



Truth
This movie taught me something about honesty. First of all, always tell the truth. Golden Rule and all that. But that's a given. The second thing is that if you tell the truth and you feel guilty afterwards, then you probably need to do some damage control.

You're not a bitch for telling the truth. But if you think you're too cool to hang out with someone because of their "popularity status" then the idea of you being a bitch is up for debate.

Feelings
If you call some girl from Wyoming a slut, she's going to feel pain.
If you call some girl from Italy a slut, she's going to feel pain.

If you call some guy from South Africa a bad person, he's going to be upset.
If you call some guy from Peru a bad person, he's going to feel pain.

No matter where you're from; what gender you are; what sexuality you consider yourself to be; what color your skin is; or how old you are... Words hurt. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me" is a flat-out lie. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will torture me forever. I'd rather you just slap me across the face than tell me I'm worthless or ugly because it'll surely hurt less.


Family Life
You have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. 

That girl that you called a whore yesterday? Her parents haven't talked to her all week because they're always at work.

That boy that you called a fag? He doesn't even know who his father is.

That person you called a bitch? They get beat if dinner isn't ready when their parents get home.

You think you know everyone. You think you've got them all figured out. You know nothing. You know their name, not their story. Walk a mile in their shoes. No, I take that back. Try to walk a mile in their shoes and see if you can even survive. Good luck.



You vs. Society
Let's get one thing straight: society's definition of "beauty" is unreasonable and unattainable. Your beauty is not defined by the size of your jeans. You don't have to be 90 pounds, tan, and blonde to feel confident.

Quit worrying about what everyone else thinks of you.

You can walk into school wearing blue jeans or wearing pink and blue polka-dotted leggings. People will judge you either way- I guarantee it. So you might as well do what makes you happy! Besides, if you want to wear those leggings, nobody will even give them a second thought as long as you wear them with confidence.

Rock your style. If someone has a problem with what you're wearing... that's none of your business and definitely not your problem.



Growing Up
Life goes by quickly. Remember when "getting high" meant climbing on top of the money bars, and pain only came around when you scraped your knee, falling off your bicycle?

Enjoy the teenage years. Enjoy what's left of your childhood. Growing up means taking responsibility for your actions, working to pay the bills, and eventually putting your family before yourself.

Don't grow up too quickly. Each moment is a gift.

Labels
Labels are for soup cans; not for people.

The characters in the movie go by the different labels that they've received when actuality, they are so much more than that. Alcoholics are so much more than drunks. And my mom is so much more than just another woman who gave birth. 

And me? I'm a lot more than the girl with her hair in a braid and wearing glasses.


Judging Other People
You don't want people to judge you? Don't judge other people. What goes around comes around. Karma.

If someone's parent died, there is no reason for you to use that against them. They're quite aware of what they're going through. 

A girl in your grade got pregnant. So what? She's fully aware of her situation and doesn't need you bothering her for no reason.

Let others live their lives. Your life is enough for you to worry about.


All in all, I STRONGLY recommend this movie if you have not seen it. It is definitely worth it.

Stay strong,
-Jordan xx

Twitter: www.twitter.com/Jordan_Winans
YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/jordanashleywinans
Vlogging YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/jordanwinansvlogs
Tumblr: www.battle-wound.com

Instagram: @wtvr.jordan


P.S. “Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. What we did was wrong. But we think you’re crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us… In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain,and an athlete, and a basket case, a princess, and a criminal. Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club.”

No comments:

Post a Comment